Environment: 5 Steps To Reduce Carbon Footprint
(Xmeeting-Xmeeting.com New Wire Service) -- Reducing carbon footprint is very important to conserve the ecosystem of our planet. Global warming is indeed one of the deadliest threats faced by mankind. It can completely change the atmosphere of our planet and render it uninhabitable for humans and other animals in the future. This is why it is important that we take steps to reduce our carbon footprint and help in stopping climate change and global warming. Remember, global warming is not a sport but a very serious affair. Hence, we have to do our part.
Here are 5 things that you can do to reduce carbon footprint:
1. Change the light bulbs in your house - instead of using regular light bulbs, opt for fluorescent bulbs as they can help you to save a lot of energy. These bulbs will not only reduce the carbon footprint of your house but will also help you in saving money through reduced utility bills. It is said that a single fluorescent bulb can help in reducing around 1300 lb of CO2 in its lifetime.
2. Opt for public transport or carpooling - instead of using your own vehicle, you can opt for public transport. In most cities and towns in the US the public transport system is very good. Buses are available at regular intervals and help people to easily travel from one place to the other. By using public transport, you can help in reducing a massive amount of CO2 emission eve year. If you are uncomfortable with public transport, you can opt for carpooling with other people.
3. Unplug electrical devices when not in use - often, we leave our smartphones, laptops, TVs and other devices switched on even when we are not using them. You should avoid doing so and make sure that these devices are switched off when not in use. Also, make sure that chargers of laptops, smartphones and mobile phones are not plugged in to the electric socket. This will surely help in reducing the carbon footprint of your use.
4. Opt for renewable sources of energy - if possible, you can opt for renewable sources of energy such as solar or wind energy to meet the energy requirements of your house. Electricity produced from non renewable sources (such as coal or fuel) increases CO2 emission and is harmful to the environment. Hence, it is advisable that you opt for renewable sources of energy to reduce CO2 emission. These days, it is not very expensive setting up solar power panels at homes.
5. Only purchase energy efficient home appliances - when purchasing home appliances such as refrigerator, ovens, washing machines, water heaters etc. make sure that they are energy efficient. Given that you will be using these appliances on a regular basis, it is important that they are energy efficient so that they can go a long way in helping you to reduce the carbon footprint of your house. Besides, they will help you in saving money on your utility bills.
Apart from the above, you can also plant trees as they can help in reducing the CO2 content of our atmosphere.