5 things to know when considering a home security system
(NC) Keeping your home safe is a top priority. After all, it protects your family and your belongings. A home security system is an affordable investment for your peace of mind. But with so many on the market, how do you choose the right one?
Here are some factors to help your decision:
- Environmental protection. Look for a system that goes beyond intrusion monitoring to one that is on guard for fire, flood, extreme temperature fluctuations and carbon monoxide. Sophisticated systems can notify you when there is a leak as a result of a frozen pipe or overflooded sump pump, alerting you to potential water damage. One that allows you to request assistance from emergency services is also a smart idea.
- Privacy. There are more risks to your personal data than ever before, and home security systems offered through voice assistants have recently been shown to have privacy breaches. When comparison shopping, opt for a system that uses secure and encrypted networks, like ADT.
- Insurance impact. When you have a high-quality home security system, your home insurance provider is likely to give you a discount. It’s worth exploring upfront whether the system you are considering will be accepted by your insurance provider to reduce your monthly insurance payments.
- Reputation. Don’t trust your family’s safety and security to just anyone. Look for a company that’s been around for at least 10 years whose sole focus is security and that has a proven track record of excellent protection and customer service.
- Home size. Security systems aren’t one size fits all, so you need to be aware of what your home might need depending on its size. A smaller system is usually fine for a condo or other small home, while a larger house will need a system that protects all entry points and surrounding property.