(NC) — Planning a wedding was tough enough with differing opinions, an endless to-do list, and playing peacemaker with various family members. Now that the big day is over and you and your sweetie can finally catch your breath, you may be wondering how to make the most of the months ahead to get your marriage off to a great start.
1. Date night. Romanticism can get thrown out the window when you're suddenly dealing with double the load of laundry and dirty dishes. Go on a date with your spouse at least once a week to regroup and keep that fire going.
2. Share a hobby. You and your spouse may already have a sport or activity you both enjoy, but if you don't, consider looking into your community centre listings and try something new. You may discover a new love for dance, ultimate Frisbee, or wine tasting.
3. Appreciate each other. Say “thank you” often and avoid brewing resentment. Just make sure you mean it. Your spouse knows when you're being genuine and when you're being fake. Note: apply the same to the words, “I'm sorry”.
4. Go out with friends. Don't forget about all the people who kept you sane the weeks before your wedding and took on your stress to give you your perfect day. Your friends will be ecstatic to see a calmer version of their friend again.
5. Give of yourselves. Love is a wonderful thing and it should be shared with those who don't often feel it. Consider donating your time to volunteer at a soup kitchen or share your talents at a seniors home. Or sponsor a child through an international development organization like Christian Children's Fund of Canada. Through sponsorship, you and your spouse can write letters to a child living in poverty to show that you care.