Keep a pet-safe yard this spring

The yard can be a wonderland for your pet, full of interesting smells, grass to roll in, bugs to chase and shady spots for naps. But if you use fertilizers, pesticides and other chemicals, it can be a potentially dangerous place pets too. Dr. Simon Starkey, a veterinarian with PetSmart Canada, gives us some important aspects to keep in mind for a safer outdoor adventure:

Pesticides: Slug bait and pest poisons are particularly dangerous because the taste entices pets to consume them. Small quantities can be very dangerous to your pet. Ask your local nursery for pet-friendly gardening products and follow application instructions carefully. Tightly seal containers and store them in a secure place.

Poisonous Plants and Mushrooms: There are a variety of poisonous plants and flowers that are dangerous to curious pets. Some common poisonous plants include azaleas, lilies, bulb flowers (like tulips), onions, tomato vines and poppies. Mushrooms are the most commonly ingested organic material in the yard. Remove them. Mushrooms are a fungus and they can grow quickly, even overnight, so check your yard frequently.

If you suspect your pet has encountered any of the above, be sure to take it to a vet as soon as possible. Visit for more information.


There are 0 comments on this post

Leave A Comment