Please Picky Eaters With This Tasty Take On Fried Rice
(NC) The biggest critic in the kitchen is often the one with the smallest stomach. The win-win solution is simple — incorporate a family favourite like bacon into a dish with hearty vegetables.
This year, Maple Leaf announced that all their bacon will be made with only natural ingredients. So, when you add bacon to family mealtime like in this delicious take on fried rice, you can feel confident about your choice.
Quinoa Fried Rice with Bacon and Bok Choy
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked quinoa
- 2-3 cups (500-750 mL) vegetable or chicken stock
- 5 slices Maple Leaf Natural Original Bacon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) bok choy, ends removed and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg, scrambled, cooked and sliced into thin strips
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook quinoa in stock, per package directions. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Cook bacon for about 15 minutes or until desired crispness. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate, then roughly chop.
- In a large wok or skillet over high heat, heat canola oil. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté mixture until onions are slightly translucent; about 3 to 4 minutes. Add bok choy and cooked bacon and sauté until the leaves turn bright green; about 1 minute.
- Add cooked quinoa to skillet along with soy sauce, stirring to combine. Cook until quinoa is warmed through; about 2 to 3 minutes. Add raw egg and stir until cooked and evenly distributed throughout the quinoa; about 3 minutes. Add sliced scrambled egg and scallions and combine.
- Serve immediately and garnish with additional sliced scallions.