Pet foods get healthy
(NC) -- Choosing the best food for a dog or cat's needs is an important consideration that can play a big part in their long-term health, however it's not the end of the story when it comes to their proper feeding.
Michele Dixon, Health and Nutrition Specialist with Petcurean, says how you feed your pet is an important complement to the food itself. She serves up these tips for your pet to savour every moment during mealtime. You can get more helpful information at www.petcurean.com.
Follow the feeding and transition guidelines on the pet food label and increase or decrease the amount you feed based on your pet's activity level and weight.
• The type of feeding bowl or dish matters. Choose a durable, non-porous material that's easy to clean, won't hold bacteria and can't be chewed by your pet.
• Use the right size dish for your pet to feed comfortably. For example, if your dog has a short snout, use a bowl with a sloped side, so it's easier for them to get the food.
• Avoid using the pet's feeding bowl as a scooping utensil. Use a clean, scoop or spoon that's only used for this purpose.
• Wash pet food bowls and scooping utensils with soap and hot water after each use.
• Refrigerate or discard any uneaten wet or canned pet food right away.