TD Canada Trust: Save, don't splurge this holiday season
(NC) -- The holiday season is just around the corner and with it comes some of the biggest shopping days of the year. While tempting deals and discounts can put you in the festive spirit, it can also make it difficult to stick to a budget.
To help Canadians avoid financial overindulgence this holiday season, Stephen Menon, Associate Vice President, TD Canada Trust, provides these tips:
• Save time and money by creating a shopping list and researching the best prices before hitting the stores.
• Take advantage of exclusive offers from your credit card or other rewards program. For example, TD credit cardholders can get access to exclusive prices on everything from electronics to travel necessities simply by shopping at tdrewards.com.
• Make a realistic budget that includes all holiday expenses, including gifts, décor, entertainment and travel.
• Find an easy way to track and manage spending, like using one credit card for all holiday purchases. Just make sure you can pay the balance in full and on time when the statement comes due.
• Redeem rewards to offset current expenses or use a rewards credit card to earn additional rewards for future purchases.
• Use a credit card that protects your purchases from theft or damage to save even more in case the unexpected happens.
In addition to looking for ways to save, Menon adds that consumers need to be vigilant about protecting their credit card during the busy holiday season. “Always shield your PIN, never let your card out of sight and only shop on secure and reputable websites.”