Raise money for your favourite charity - 9 tips
(NC) — Making a donation to a charity is a true act of generosity that millions of Canadians do each year. But raising money for your favourite charity by holding a fundraising event can be more fun and even more rewarding. Here are nine tips to get you started.
• Keep it fun and simple: Remember: you need to make sure that both you and your participants enjoy the event, so keep it simple and make sure that you add an element of fun, whether it's special decoration, a tote bag for each participant or guest, or a special theme.
• Share the load—get team support: Turn to friends to help share ideas and workload. Brainstorming at the beginning may give you some new ideas and help give a unique twist to your event. Make sure that you break down the work among your team and delegate so that you are not overstretched. Again, sometimes the simplest ideas are the ones that work the best. Your goal is to work towards your ambitious fundraising goal and aim to beat it.
• Plan for the 'what ifs?': If you are planning to hold an event outdoors, or if you are relying on a local celebrity as a guest of honour, make sure you think of a few possible alternatives if it starts raining or if your celebrity doesn't show up. This is the key to successful event planning.
• Timing is everything: Check your community calendar to make sure there are no important community events and fundraisers on the day that you are planning your event. You might want to check with other community or regional non-profit organizations. Try to pick the date that will bring in optimal attendance.
• Watch the dollars: Keep your costs down by getting items donated. Many grocery stores or restaurants will donate food or other items to your event. Very often events do not raise money as a result of overspending.
• Take stock: If your event is a large one, make sure you assign a reliable volunteer to collect all the money and send it back to your charity within 30 days of the event taking place.
• A warm 'thank you' goes a long way: Always remember to thank your guests or anyone who has donated towards your fundraising efforts.
• Tell your charity about your event: Once you choose how you'd like to raise money for your favourite charity, make sure to tell the charity about your event.
• Check out your favourite charity's website for ideas: Many charities' websites offer advice on how to raise money. For example, the human rights charity Amnesty International lists events and ideas at amnesty.ca/special-events