Five essential travel tips this summer
(NC) – With summer being one of the busiest travel times, it's easy to get lost in the tiny details of your trip. Which hotel should you book? What clothes should you pack? The list can go on and on. American Express Canada recently conducted a survey and found that 69 per cent of Canadians are planning on travelling this summer.
Tamara McPherson, founder of the popular blog, WonderMoms, shares five essential tips on summer travel:
1. Pack for all types of weather – No matter where you're travelling, weather can always change. Remember that different countries can have vast and different temperature dynamics. A country like Australia actually gets colder during the summer time since it's farther from the sun.
2. Find peace in crowds – Travelling in the summer means peak travel time. If you're part of the 78 per cent of Canadians who find loud travellers to be frustrating while vacationing, packing a hand-held device and earphones or ear plugs will help to keep your mind off the complaining passenger next to you.
3. Ensure you're covered for mishaps – 80 per cent of Canadians cite lost or delayed luggage as one of the most frustrating things to happen while on vacation and 78 per cent have been frustrated by cancelled or delayed flights. Although most believe the airline will reimburse you, it's typically not the case. Purchasing travel insurance can give you peace of mind and help cover you for trip delay and baggage loss/delay.
4. Avoid peak travel times – Know the peak travel times for your destination. For travelling out of the country, not only will weekday flights be more affordable, they'll also be quieter. If you're interested in visiting a specific country, check to see if they have any large scale festivals and plan away from that time-frame so you don't deal with an abundance of tourists.
5. Simplify your vacation – Simplifying your vacation is one of the easiest steps to take to de-stress. Know what you're able to do in a day and plan accordingly. When creating an itinerary don't over-schedule too many activities in one day or you'll end up needing a vacation from your vacation.
More information is available online at americanexpress.ca/travelinsurance.