Why book with a travel agent in Ontario?
(NC) More and more people are playing travel agent and booking their own vacations online. After all, the travel sites make it easy and you’ll save few dollars, right?
The truth is there are many reasons why booking with a certified travel agent in Ontario could actually save your vacation.
According to Ontario law, all travel agents must be certified by TICO, the provincial travel regulator.
This certification ensures that agents meet legislated educational standards in order to sell travel services on behalf of a registered travel agency or website. In addition, they must work for a travel agency or website that is registered with the provincial regulator.
Certified travel agents are up-to-date on the latest consumer protection laws. This means providing full disclosure to consumer. Before accepting your payment and finalizing your booking, travel agents must provide you with the following information:
- The total price of the travel services including taxes
- The travel dates
- An accurate description of the travel services you will receive
- Cancellation penalties
- Availability of insurance
- The necessary travel documentation required for each person travelling
- A proper invoice outlining the travel purchase (there are also requirements on what needs to be included on the invoice such as the registration number)
- A clear description of your accommodations (and if your hotel is undergoing renovations, your travel agent is required to advise you of the details)
Booking with a certified agent that works for a registered travel agency or website means you have access to consumer protection. This means that if the above details are not provided to you, then you can file a claim. In addition, if, for some reason the travel agency, website, airline or cruise line goes under, you can file a claim for a refund for the services you didn’t receive.