The right recipe for your cookie exchange
(NC) Each year as the holiday season nears, we take to our kitchens to bake dozens of delicious desserts alongside the ones we love. With a desire to bring our friends and family a variety of festive flavours, many of us will come together to exchange our batches of baking. While dessert exchanges are often annual rituals, the recipes we bring don't have to be traditional. This year, rise to the occasion with an unexpected batch of peppermint bars. Made in just 30 minutes with only seven ingredients, these bite-sized bars will bring festive flavour to your exchange. Peppermint Bars
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 36 servings
• 1 pkg (440 g) fudge brownie mix
• 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) icing sugar
• 7 tbsp (105 mL) melted butter
• 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) whipping (35%) cream
• 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House pure mint & peppermint extract
• 12 oz (360 g) semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
• Crushed peppermint candies (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare brownie mix as directed on package. Spread in greased foil-lined 15x10 inch (38x25 cm) baking pan.
2. Bake 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out almost clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
3. Meanwhile, beat sugar, melted butter, cream, and extract in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended and smooth. Spread evenly over cooled brownie. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
4. Microwave chocolate and remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter in large microwavable bowl on high for 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Spread over top of chilled brownie. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies, if desired. Cut into bars.
Find more tips on preparing festive flavours and holiday feasts online at flavour.ca.