Fashion Model Returns to Catwalk Four Years After Toxic Tampon Caused Her to Lose Her Leg
(NaturalNews) In 2012, model Lauren Wasser was lying on her deathbed, after being brought to the hospital with flu-like symptoms. Because she had been wearing a tampon, she developed toxic shock syndrome, and almost lost her life. Fortunately, she was correctly diagnosed just in the nick of time. Although the doctors saved her life, they were nonetheless forced to amputate her leg in the process.
Prior to the tragic event, Lauren was a rising model with a promising career ahead of her. When she lost her leg, she thought that all of her work and dreams would turn to dust. But she was wrong. Earlier this month, Lauren made a successful debut at the New York Fashion Week, where she proudly sported her prosthetic leg.
What happened then
In the fall of 2012, Lauren Wasser was a 24-year-old beautiful, aspiring model. When her flu-like symptoms got worse and worse, she was brought to the hospital emergency room. But no one could tell what was wrong. Since toxic shock syndrome is so rare, most doctors never encounter a case during their entire career. Lauren was lying lifeless in bed, with many of her organs were beginning to shut down.
It was up to an infectious disease specialist to provide the correct last-minute diagnosis and save Lauren's life. TSS has been linked to the use of tampons since the early 1980s, and Lauren was using them at the time, so it all made sense. Unfortunately, Lauren's condition was so severe that doctors had no choice but to amputate her right leg below the knee. At the time, the young woman thought her career was over.
A brilliant and successful Fashion Week debutAlthough she never thought it possible, Lauren Wasser broke back into the fashion world in 2015. As she herself confessed on Instagram, being photographed for Nordstrom's Holiday Catalog brought tears to her eyes, as well as to those of her mother. As more and more amazing photos of Lauren emerged, it was clear that she had truly embraced the person she had become.
On February 18 this year, Lauren wore a structural black dress as she walked down the runway during the New York Fashion Week. On the runway and throughout the rest of the day, the 28-year-old woman proudly displayed her prosthetic leg and emphasized how the entire process has changed her for the better.
It could happen to anyone
Toxic Shock Syndrome, or TSS, can affect men, children and women, but almost half of the documented cases occurred in women who were using tampons. Indeed, the link between the use of tampons, especially those designed for higher absorbency, and TSS has been established for decades, but the exact reason for this link is still unknown.
In any event, it is clear that women should only use tampons cautiously in order to avoid the potentially deadly TSS. In fact, considering the dangerous composition of most tampons, women ought to look for alternative products altogether.
After all, it's not just the increased risk of TSS that makes tampons a health hazard. Conventional tampons contain perilous plastic chemicals, pesticides and GMOs that can easily be absorbed through the skin. Using these tampons is no better than eating GMO foods, and can severely disrupt the body's own use of hormones. Better be safe than sorry, because not all women who suffer from Toxic Shock Syndrome are as lucky as Lauren was.Sources include: